Sep 21, 2013

iOS7 and the Missing Agree Button

After “upgrading” to iOS7, I went to download a free App. The iTunes store Terms and Conditions had changed so I had to accept those before I could proceed. There was only one problem, there was no agree button at the bottom of the T&C page. I thought maybe they were serious about making the user read the whole thing so I thought “I’ll use the Send via email button”, but again no luck. It didn’t do anything. Then I thought what the heck, Scroll down, next page, scroll down, next page, repeat 52 more times, voila the last page but…. no agree button.

After a lot of false leads on multiple web pages I finally found a discussion thread that worked for me. Turns out the culprit was a byzantine relationship between the iTunes App store and and another app I no longer even use: Safari. The solution:

    1. Launch the Settings app.
    2. Scroll down to Safari
    3. Under “Privacy and Security” change Block Cookies from “Always” to “From third parties and advertisers”
    4. Go back and scroll to the button and select “Clear Cookies and Data”
    5. Exit Settings.
    6. Double click the home button to bring up the task switcher
    7. Swipe up on the App store to force it to quit
    8. Relaunch the app store

Now the agree button showed up.  Is that Steve Jobs I hear rolling in his grave?

If you're a programmer check out my Eclipse Guided Tour course on Pluralsight. I’m currently working on part 2 which should be released in December of  2013.

Related Posts

iCloud plunders Outlook
Using your iPad/iPhone/iTouch at home and work
Amber Alerts on the iPhone
Ten iPad tips From the Manual
Getting eMail on the iPad with GoDaddy
Getting Outlook Contacts To the Mac's Address Book

 

 

 

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.